** How important is an independent, alternative Free Press?
Printed journalism in our society is in rapid decline. Especially in Columbus, where non-local conglomerates own and operate nearly all central Ohio publications, and one by one we witness them going out of business.
The Columbus Free Press has prevailed for half a century.
Our first issue came out in October 1970 and we are looking forward to our 50th year in 2020.
Please consider a one-time yearly donation to the Free Press through Paypal. ([link removed])
The past decade, and past year, were tumultuous and frustrating for social justice activists. But there have been some victories we have been able to keep the Free Press alive to help fight the power! Some accomplishments include:
* Documenting people's power and social justice movements
* Pointing out police brutality, excessive force, killings and racism
* Reporting on national and international human rights, immigration issues
* Kick-starting the national election integrity movement, calling into question the security and transparency of electronic voting and shining the light on voter suppression
* Discussing environmental issues such as climate change, fracking, and renewable energy
* Providing alternative news on the web ([link removed] ([link removed]) ) and internationally (freepress.org ([link removed]) )
* Supporting community radio stations WGRN 94.1 FM and WCRS 92.7/98.3 including Free Press Editor Bob Fitrakis and Dan Dougan's show "The Other Side of the News"
* Expanding local alternative media with the Free Press Network, improving our technical capabilities of streaming video and other methods of effectively using social media.
Become a monthly donor to the Free Press Network on Patreon. ([link removed])
The Free Press is published by the Columbus Institute for Contemporary Journalism (CICJ), a 501(c)3 nonprofit charitable organization and your donation is tax deductible.
We know giving to a news outlet doesn't pull at the heartstrings like other charities. We appreciate your past support more than you know!
Our mailing address is:
The Free Press, 1021 E. Broad St., Columbus, OH 43205
Thank you and happy holidays!
Pete Johnson, CICJ Board President
** Facebook ()
** Twitter ()
** Website ()
Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can ** update your preferences ([link removed])
or ** unsubscribe from this list ([link removed])