SB 866 will be heard in the Assembly Judiciary Committee
next Wednesday, June 1 at 8:30AM
Submit a letter to the Advocacy Portal by noon TODAY!
Email and Call legislators on the Committee before June 1
asking them to Oppose SB 866!
Come to Sacramento on Wednesday!
SB 866 Minors: vaccine consent (Wiener) – 12 Year Old Minor Consent to Vaccination Without Parental Consent: Allows a minor 12 years of age or older to consent to a vaccine that is approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration and meets the recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (ACIP) without the consent of the parent or guardian of the minor. (https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220SB866)
SB 866 will be heard in the Assembly Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, June 1 at 8:30AM.
A Voice for Choice Advocacy sent a detailed letter to the Assembly Judiciary Committee outlining our numerous concerns with the bill, and our requested amendments. You can read our letter here: (https://avoiceforchoiceadvocacy.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/AVFCA-SB866-Letter-of-Oppose-unless-Amended-Wiener-Pan-Asm-Judiciary.pdf)
Take Action TODAY!
1) By NOON today, Friday, May 27, 2022: Submit an Opposition letter to the CA Legislative Portal
- Write a brief letter in your own words asking the Assembly Judiciary Committee to vote NO or to ABSTAIN on SB866. This does not need to be more than a few sentences stating “I oppose XXX bill because ….”. Make sure your letter is polite, to the point, and sounds convincing. Remember you are trying to sway the legislators to vote the way you want them to, not alienate them. If you can write on behalf of an organization or company, be sure to put your letter on a letterhead and sign it, so that it gets recognized.
- Create an account or sign in at https://calegislation.lc.ca.gov/Advocates/
- Click “Submit a letter” and enter the bill number (SB 866), and follow the instructions to upload your letter to Assembly Judiciary Committee.
2) Before June 1, 2022: Email the Assembly Judiciary Committee Members: Go to: https://secure.everyaction.com/gYfO6JfMgk2QtMqyZZjDNA2 A Voice for Choice Advocacy has made it easy for you to email the Assembly Members on the Judiciary Committee to ask them to Oppose SB 866. For legislators to read your email (and not assume it as a mass marketing campaign), it is important that your letter is personalized to your situation, so be sure to outline how SB 866 would affect you and your family. If you submitted a letter to the Legislative Advocacy Portal, you can copy that into the form.
3) Before June 1, 2022: Call these 7 Assembly Judiciary Committee Members and tell them to vote NO or to ABSTAIN on SB 866:
Mark Stone (916) 319-2029 and local office (831) 425-1503
Richard Bloom (916) 319-2050 and local office (310) 450-0041
Matt Haney (916) 319-2017 and local office (415) 557-3013
Ash Kalra (916) 319-2027 and local office (408) 277-1220
Brian Maienschein (916) 319-2077 and local office (858) 675-0077
Eloise Gómez Reyes (916) 319-2047 and local office (909) 381-3238
Robert Rivas (916) 319-2030 and local office (831) 759-8676
Sample Script: "I am calling to ask the Assembly member to vote no or abstain on SB 866, which would allow minors to consent to vaccinations including the COVID vaccine without parental consent or guardrails to protect minors from coercion, bullying and peer pressure."
4) Make plans to come to Sacramento next Wednesday to give public comment in person
5) Forward this email to anyone who believes in parental rights. Share this email on social media: https://avoiceforchoiceadvocacy.org/action-alert-sb-866-asm-judiciary/
Over the past 7 years, A Voice for Choice Advocacy has established itself as the leading legislative organization lobbying in the California Capitol for your health rights. While A Voice for Choice Advocacy's lobbying activity in the Capitol is important, your positive constituent relationships with your CA State Senator and Assembly Member and their staff are critical to assisting with A Voice for Choice Advocacy's efforts in the Capitol.
If you found this information helpful and appreciate the work A Voice for Choice Advocacy is doing, please support us by making a donation today.
Together we can make change happen!
A Voice for Choice Advocacy, Inc.