How will this affect local businesses and food vendors?
A Plastic-Free Future in Los Angeles
We're celebrating two huge Earth Month wins in Los Angeles! LA County passed an ordinance that reduces single-use plastic and eliminates expanded polystyrene at local restaurants. Shortly afterward, LA City Council voted unanimously to move forward with the implementation of 14 different motions aimed at reducing plastic pollution, including phasing out single-use plastic at City facilities and events, an expanded polystyrene ban, and closing loopholes in the bag ban.
Learn More About the Ordinances ([link removed])
We can ban single-use plastic, but how does this impact local businesses? We're working on a project with Esperanza Community Housing to examine the current state of reusables at Mercado La Paloma ([link removed]) , a community space and marketplace in Los Angeles. We're conducting surveys and focused conservations with the vendors to better understand the barriers and feasibility of transitioning from single-use plastic to reusable foodware.
Washing and drying our clothing contaminates the air we breathe with plastic microfibers. We're beginning our Plastic Air study this summer to explore microfiber emissions.
We released the first edition of The Gyre, a new monthly newsletter exclusively for our Ambassadors. Interested in joining this global network? Apply here ([link removed]) !
Speaking of Ambassadors, Peter Harley (@northatlanticchallenge ([link removed]) ) is preparing to row 4,000 miles from the United States to France. Read about his adventure on CNN ([link removed]) .
* The 5 Gyres team will be at Outdoor Retailer ([link removed]) in Denver next month. Connect with us if you'll be there too!
* Blueland came out with a first-of-its-kind powder body wash. Just add water ([link removed]) !
* Liquid Death's new campaign has a simple message: Don't F*** the Planet ([link removed]) .
* ProGrade Digital designed new packaging that reduces their plastic waste by 98%. Watch the video ([link removed]) .
* Maison Marcel ([link removed]) is planning a series of beach clean-ups in New York this summer. Stay tuned for more details!
Our mailing address is:
The 5 Gyres Institute
P.O. Box 5699
Santa Monica, CA 90409
Want to change how you receive these emails?
** Update your preferences ([link removed])
This email was sent to [email protected] (mailto:[email protected])
why did I get this? ([link removed]) unsubscribe from this list ([link removed]) update subscription preferences ([link removed])
The 5 Gyres Institute . P.O. Box 5699 . Santa Monica, CA 90409 . USA