6 "Bad" Bills and 6 "Good" Bills
What do they mean? Where do they go from here?
What can you do about these bills?
If you missed Christina's presentation on Tuesday describing the bills in detail, when they will be heard in committee and what Action Steps you need to take. You can watch the recording now:
Take Action TODAY: We can't fight this fight without YOU! Take steps right now - don't wait for tomorrow...
1) Make an appointment TODAY to meet with your CA Senator and CA Assembly member, or their staff, to discuss these bills. Your voice as a constituent is critical for them to hear, and will help A Voice for Choice Advocacy's efforts in the Capitol.
- Not sure who that is, enter your address here: https://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/
- Not sure how to set up a meeting and build a trusted relationship with your legislators, watch this webinar: https://youtu.be/NGwnwAcJJZ4
- Not sure what to say: Choose 1-2 bills you support and 2-3 you oppose and focus on those as you will likely only have 15-30 minutes.
Find a crib sheet on the bills here: https://avoiceforchoiceadvocacy.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/AVFCA-2022-Bills-Support-Oppose.pdf
Find AVFCA recommended talking points here: https://avoiceforchoiceadvocacy.org/action-alert-2022-ca-legislation-predictions-vs-reality-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/
2) Submit a position letter to the CA Legislative Portal
- Write a brief letter in your own words summarizing your position on each bill. This does not need to be more than a few sentences stating “I oppose XXX bill because ….”. Make sure your letter is polite, to the point, and sounds convincing. Remember you are trying to sway the legislators to vote the way you want them to, not alienate them.
- Create an account or sign in at https://calegislation.lc.ca.gov/Advocates/
- Click “Submit a letter” and enter the bill number, and follow the instructions to upload your letter to the appropriate committees, repeating for each bill. (Note: AB1993 and AB1797 have not been assigned to committee so letters cannot be submitted currently)
3) Ask religious leaders, faith based organizations and school representatives to sign onto the Religious Rights Coalition statement: https://religiousrightscoalition.org/
4) Contact leaders of businesses, organizations, unions, school boards, Chambers of Commerce, City Councils, etc. who should be on our side, because they will be affected by one or more of these bills, and ask them to submit a position letter to the legislature.
5) Talk to friends, family, parents and other familiar faces in your community to make them aware of the bills and ask them to also take these five actions. Print out the list of bills: https://avoiceforchoiceadvocacy.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/AVFCA-2022-Bills-Support-Oppose.pdf and share it in your community. Share the video on social media: https://youtu.be/WvJhrebzP_k
Here is the link if you want to share this email: https://avoiceforchoiceadvocacy.org/video-2022-ca-vaccine-bills-detailed-and-action-steps/
If you found this information helpful and appreciate the work A Voice for Choice Advocacy is doing, please support us by making a donation today.
Together we can make change happen!
A Voice for Choice Advocacy, Inc.