This year, the ACLU helped pass groundbreaking state bills to strengthen and protect the fundamental rights and civil liberties of all Californians. We couldn't have done it without your support!
Here are a few of the victories you helped secure with your generosity and support:
- Police Use of Force (AB 392): Establishes one of the strongest police use of force laws in the country by requiring that officers use deadly force only when absolutely necessary to protect themselves or others from immediate harm.
- Election Day Registration (SB 72): Ensures every eligible voter can cast a ballot on Election Day by allowing Californians to register to vote at all polling sites in the state.
- Abortion Access on Public University Campuses (SB 24): Makes California the first state to make medication abortion available at all public university student health centers.
- Copays for Healthcare in Jails & Prisons (AB 45): Abolishes medical and dental copays, which pose harmful barriers to healthcare access, in California prisons and county jails. California will be the first state to eliminate copays in county jails.
- Facial Recognition & Police Body Cams (AB 1215): Prevents police body cams from being exploited for mass surveillance of the public by prohibiting law enforcement agencies from using facial recognition and other biometric tracking technology in connection with body cams through 2022.
- 1-Yr Sentence Enhancement (SB 136): Fights mass incarceration by dismantling a cruel, costly, and ineffective sentence enhancement that adds an extra year to an individual's base sentence for each prior prison or felony jail term they already served.
Learn more about these bills: [link removed]
These historic victories demonstrate that, together, we can create a more equitable, free, and inclusive California. But we won't stop here. We'll be back for more next year!
Executive Director, ACLU of Northern California
DONATE NOW ([link removed])