Earlier this week I released my Reforming Public Safety Plan that outlines how we can make progress together as a community on the most important issue facing our city today. One shooting is one too many, and the recent spike in violence has to be met with meaningful action.
My written plan contains 32 action items to make our community safer for everyone. These steps center around proven and commonsense strategies to reduce violence, recruit and retain a diverse police workforce reflective of the community, improve resident participation, officer training and policies, and build relationships through community policing.
Some highlights include:
* Expanding the Group Violence Intervention program and aligning major crime investigations and prevention
* Enhancing our street outreach programs with S.A.V.E. and pursuing the integration of Peacemaker Fellowships, in partnership with faith leaders and Faith in Indiana, to complement existing programs
* Expanding trainings for the police force, particularly with regard to implicit bias, de-escalation, procedural justice, and problem solving
* Setting up our youth for success by working with community partners to increase high quality pre-K, establish a summer employment program, and expand resources for the Police Athletic League
* Establishing a working group to explore and evaluate options to expand resident participation
This plan is meant to be the beginning of the conversation. I look forward to engaging and receiving feedback from the community. Once you get a chance to read the plan, please let me know what you think. We must all work together on this issue, because finding a solution is just too important.
Read the plan ([link removed])
Let me know what you think (mailto:[email protected]?subject=Feedback%20on%20Public%20Safety%20Plan)
P.S. Our fundraising deadline is tonight at midnight. I hope you will consider chipping in $5, $10, $20 or whatever is meaningful to you to help us get our message out to the community.
Our mailing address is:
Mueller for Mayor
PO Box 545
South Bend, IN 46624-0545
Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can ** update your preferences ([link removed])
or ** unsubscribe from this list ([link removed])