The pandemic is killing our Latinx, Black, and immigrant communities! Despite suffering from higher COVID-19 infections and death rates, the number of people of color that have been vaccinated, relative to their white counterparts, is startlingly low.
Making matters worse, our people continue to be out of work, underemployed, and underpaid. Many can’t make their rent, mortgage, and utility payments. This echoes the experiences of communities of color around the country who have been disproportionately impacted by the virus and resulting economic catastrophe.
Against the backdrop of North Carolina’s COVID-19 crisis, Action NC conducted an in-depth community survey that revealed widespread financial instability and hardship among North Carolina’s most vulnerable residents and underscores the need for policy solutions that are both responsive to this urgent moment and center those most impacted.
Throughout the pandemic, Action NC has maintained a commitment to organize around the issues that are impacting people the most. The core of our work continues to be building collective power, to create a more just and equitable North Carolina.
Based on results from the survey, Action NC is launching a campaign to educate and vaccinate the community. This is a tipping point, where direct action must be integrated with public education.
Action NC Educate and Vaccinate Campaign:
- Educate the community on the importance of receiving the vaccination and clearing up any misinformation around the process.
- Partner with County Health Departments to ensure equitable locations of vaccination centers locations in our neighborhoods.
- Identify seniors that are shut-ins or unable to get to vaccination centers and create a plan to ensure that they get access.
- Mobilize our Senior Warriors Network (SWAN) members to act as ambassadors to the vaccination process.
- Highlight examples of influencers who are already engaged in the vaccination process Action NC will conduct phone banks to seniors to encourage them to get the vaccinations.
Thanks to a generous grant, based on Sycamore Brewing’s sales of their Black is Beautiful Beer, Action NC will be able to conduct community canvasses that will help register seniors for COVID-19 vaccinations.
Join us and sign-up to become a volunteer or donate today!