From 350 Milwaukee <[email protected]>
Subject Does your VOTE count?
Date January 26, 2021 3:38 PM
  Links have been removed from this email. Learn more in the FAQ.
  Links have been removed from this email. Learn more in the FAQ.
Or, has Gerrymandering diluted it?                                              

[link removed]

Dear John, our next 350 MKE monthly meeting is on gerrymandering. Why? Because, to reach net zero by 2050 Wisconsin will need a massive transformation from fossil fuels to renewables on a personal, commercial and industrial scale. This will require major governmental action.

This past January confirms that we still live in a democracy. Yes, our vote does count but not in Wisconsin. Because of gerrymandering, we live in voting districts that have been drawn to guarantee dominance by one party. Statewide, one party always holds 60% of the legislative seats while the other party holds 40%. Consequently, Wis consin has fallen dramatically from its leadership in environment and renewable energy.

We need to restore leadership at the state level. We need to elect legislators who share an agenda to protect our environment and fight climate change. This requires getting out the vote. But this will only work if our election districts are drawn to ensure all votes count—one person one vote. Thus, to protect our environment and fight climate change we need to redraw our election districts so we have a fair chance at securing the necessary legislation that will get us to net zero emissions by 2050.

If you'd like to learn more about gerrymandering before the meeting, we've included video links (after the meeting info) that explain what gerrymandering is, how it’s done and the impact it has on our lives locally and statewide.

350 Milwaukee's "2nd Tuesday" meetings are an open forum - everyone is invited and anyone can drop in. Please forward this invitation to your climate/environment mailing list and your friends.
350 Milwaukee

350 Milwaukee Meeting
Tuesday, February 9, 7 - 8:30pm
Zoom Virtual Meeting

Wisconsin Fair Maps
Speaker: Matt Rothschild

After each Census (i.e. 2020) the state's congressional and senate districts (both federal and state) are redrawn based on the census population numbers so that each district includes the same number of residents - equal representation. 2021 is the year those district boundaries will be redrawn.
"Partisan gerrymandering is a practice that attempts to establish a political advantage for a particular party or group by manipulating geographic boundaries to create partisan or incumbent-protected districts." - Fair Maps Coalition

Gerrymandering -
Why should voters choose the representatives
when the representatives can choose the voters?

Time: Tuesday, February 9, 7 - 8:30pm

Join Zoom Meeting: [link removed] ([link removed])

Meeting ID: 812 5630 0336
One tap mobile
+16468769923,,81256300336# US (New York)
+13017158592,,81256300336# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 812 5630 0336
Find your local number: [link removed] ([link removed])

Gerrymandering Resources
Get some background before the meeting
Here are two videos that look at gerrymandering as it was done in Milwaukee and two surrounding suburban areas. Bill Whitford, lead plaintiff in Gill V Whiftord, narrates the process using motion graphics. Bill is joined by guests who share their stories about gerrymandering and/or why they joined as plaintiffs in the Wisconsin Supreme Court Case.

Fair Maps - Milwaukee & Western Suburbs ([link removed])
Fair Maps – Milwaukee & Northern Suburbs ([link removed])

[link removed]

Wisconsin Deserves Fair Election Maps is a presentation by Sachin Chheda, Director of the Fair Election Project. This hour long video/playlist provides an in-depth look at gerrymandering in Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Supreme Court Case and grassroots action strategies that have massive bipartisan support throughout Wisconsin.

Watch the whole video or select separate video clips on specific topics such as:
* Clip 3 - Misalignment of Votes and Seats
* Clip 4 - How to Gerrymander
* Clip 7 - Look at the Law

Visit us at:
[link removed]
[link removed]
** [link removed] ([link removed])
You are receiving this email because you signed up at an event or on our website.
To ** update ([link removed])
your contact information, or to ** unsubscribe from this list ([link removed])
, please ** click here ([link removed])
Mailing Address:
4142 Newhall St.
Shorewood, WI 53211
Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp
[link removed]
** Twitter ([link removed])
** Keep in touch! ([link removed])
** Website ([link removed])
Screenshot of the email generated on import

Message Analysis