Trouble reading this email? View newsletter in your browser <[link removed]> | Add to your safe senders
* secularism.org.uk <[link removed]>
* Challenging Religious Privilege
Donate <[link removed]>
** Your daily media briefing - Tuesday 30 June
In the Media <[link removed]> is our daily collection of news and commentary related to secularism, available delivered to your inbox. You can also read the latest news <[link removed]> and opinion <[link removed]> and listen to our podcasts <[link removed]> on our website.
** Secularism in the media
* NSS: Greek mandatory declaration of religion is human rights violation <[link removed]>
A mandatory declaration of religion on Greek birth certificates is being challenged by the National Secular Society as a breach of human rights. NSS CEO Stephen Evans is quoted.
* Next Archbishop of York apologises over safeguarding lapse <[link removed]>
The next Archbishop of York has apologised for not properly reporting allegations of domestic abuse made against a parish priest a decade ago.
* US: Supreme court strikes down restrictive Louisiana abortion law <[link removed]>
The US supreme court has upheld a woman's constitutional right to obtain an abortion in the most-watched abortion case in decades.
* New research calls for relaxation of abortion care laws in Britain and the USA <[link removed]>
Experts from The University of Manchester and The University of Bristol are calling for permanent laws allowing so-called 'pills by post' abortion services to be enacted in Great Britain and the USA, in order to address barriers to care highlighted by the coronavirus crisis.
The University of Manchester
* 'Reconciliation above all' <[link removed]>
The former chair of the Community Relations Council calls for integrated education in Northern Ireland.
* US: Judge blocks 25% capacity rule for religious services in NY <[link removed]>
A federal judge on Friday blocked New York state from enforcing coronavirus restrictions limiting indoor religious gatherings to 25% capacity when other types of gatherings are limited to 50%.
Yahoo! News/Associated Press
* US: Muslim man terminated after asking for prayer breaks, complaint says <[link removed]>
A Muslim man who says he was terminated from his job in Indianapolis last year after asking his employer to allow him to pray five times a day is accusing two companies of religious discrimination.
* 'The separation of church and state is breaking down under Trump <[link removed]>
"Religious groups are getting special treatment from the government's pandemic-relief efforts."
* Gabon votes to reverse ban on homosexuality <[link removed]>
Gabon's Senate voted on Monday to decriminalise homosexuality, a landmark result that makes the country one of the few in Africa to reverse a ban on same-sex relationships.
* Pandemic sees rise in attacks against India's lowest caste <[link removed]>
Throughout history, Dalits have been subject to violence from higher-caste Hindus but the coronavirus pandemic and lockdown has seen the number of attacks surge.
** In case you missed it...
* Mandatory declaration of religion breaches human rights, says NSS <[link removed]>
The NSS has challenged a requirement that parents in Greece must declare their religion on children's birth certificates.
** Viewing this online?
If you're viewing this online and would like to receive the daily media briefing straight to your inbox, click subscribe.
Subscribe <[link removed]>
** While you're here
Please support our work so we can make the case for a fairer secular democracy for all.
Support us from just £1 a month <[link removed]>
Disclaimer: Links are provided to external websites for information and in the interests of free exchange. We do not accept any responsibility for the content of those sites, nor does a link indicate approval or imply endorsement of those sites.
News <[link removed]>
About <[link removed]>
Campaigns <[link removed]>
Get involved <[link removed]>
You can support the NSS by buying from our Shop.
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7404 3126 <[link removed]>
Unsubscribe from this list (In the media): [link removed]
Opt out of all emails: [link removed]
Update your details: [link removed]
National Secular Society
307-308 High Holborn
LONDON, WC1V 7LL
| Your contact ID 168455