From LAPPL <[email protected]>
Subject NewsWatch Wednesday, June 25, 2025
Date June 26, 2025 8:43 PM
  Links have been removed from this email. Learn more in the FAQ.
  Links have been removed from this email. Learn more in the FAQ.
Email from Los Angeles Police Protective League Daily News & Updates   Law Enforcement News Memorial service to honor Baldwin Park officer killed in line of duty A 35-year-old Baldwin Park officer who was shot and killed in the line of duty will be remembered Thursday morning at a memorial service in Ontario. Officer Samuel Riveros, a nine-year veteran of the department in the central San Gabriel Valley, was shot and killed when he responded on the night of May 31 to a report of a man with a rifle firing shots. Riveros was shot as he arrived at the scene, where another man had been fatally shot, to help other officers. Riveros' memorial service is scheduled for 10 a.m. at Toyota Arena in Ontario. Family members, friends, Baldwin Park Police Chief Robert Lopez, Bishop Carl Besaw and law enforcement colleagues expected to attend the service. A private burial will follow the ceremony, which will be streamed live above. Riveros is survived by his parents, siblings, niece, and nephews. Riveros was the first Baldwin Park officer killed in the line of duty in the department’s history. "We are grateful for the outpouring of love, support, and prayers from the community, our brothers and sisters in blue," the department said in announcing the service. "Thank you for standing with us as we honor the memory of Officer Riveros." Other officers have described Riveros as dedicated to a life of service a sacrifice. NBC 4 Who is Cudahy vice mayor who appears to call on notorious gangs to intervene ICE raids? After a video that appears to show Cudahy’s Vice Mayor Cynthia Gonzalez calling on gangs to intervene immigration raids circulated online, city officials including the vice mayor herself stayed mum Wednesday amid mounting criticism. NBC Los Angeles tried to contact Vice Mayor Gonzalez as well as Mayor Elizabeth Alcantar Loza but did not hear back. Gonzalez was elected to the Cudahy city council in 2022 as she maintains a full-time job as an administrator with the Los Angeles Unified School District. Her bio from the city website says, after teaching in the classroom, Gonzalez, who has a doctorate degree from UCLA, currently serves as a director of a pilot schools program. While the website notes that Gonzalez is ”passionate about creating healthy and safe communities,” she was heard in the video, explicitly mentioning the 18th Street and Florencia 13 gangs in the social video. “I want to know where all the Cholos are at in Los Angeles, 18th Street, Florencia,” she said in the video. “You guys tag everything up, claiming hood. And now that your hood’s being invaded by the biggest gang, there ain’t a peep out of you.” A police union for the Los Angeles Police Department quickly condemned the video, demanding Gonzalez resign from public office. “We're particularly outraged that anybody at all, much less an elected official, would call upon gang members, particularly 18th Street and Florencia gang members, to do violence against law enforcement,” Christian Wecker with the LA Police Protective League said, alerting that comments like hers could lead to people getting hurt. NBC 4 Santa Monica officer 'ambushed' and shot after approaching wanted gunman, chief says A man has been arrested after shooting an officer near the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica on Wednesday, according to the police department. AIR7 was live over the scene when the suspect was taken into custody at the intersection of Idaho and Ocean around 4:20 p.m. The Santa Monica Police Department released an image of the suspect on social media earlier in the afternoon when he was still at large. According to Police Chief Ramon Batista, shortly after 1 p.m., the officer recognized a man believed to be wanted in a prior incident near Santa Monica Place mall (4th St & Colorado). Batista said the officer approached the man and identified himself as an officer, and that's when a short foot chase began. The suspect then ambushed the officer, firing multiple rounds, according to Batista. He then got away on foot. The officer was seriously injured and taken to UCLA Medical Center, where he is now in stable condition. Santa Monica Mayor Lana Negrete said the officer was shot in the hand. ABC 7 Deadly hit-and-run driver linked to possible street takeover in South LA, police say A hit-and-run driver linked to possible street takeovers in South Los Angeles struck and killed a bicyclist, police said Wednesday. At around 11 p.m. on June 1, 34-year-old Jose Villalobos was hit at the intersection of Century Boulevard and San Pedro Street while riding his bicycle, according to the Los Angeles Police Department, who Wednesday announced a reward to catch the suspect. Investigators believe the driver or the vehicle may have been involved in one of several street takeovers that were happening in the area on June 1. Around the time of the crash, a large street takeover happened within a mile of the incident and was broken up by police, Det. Ryan Moreno said at a press conference. Surveillance video released by the LAPD shows a silver two-door Chevrolet Camaro with distinct black racing stripes hitting Villalobos as he approached San Pedro Street. “(He) has a son, has a brother, has family in the area. I know they're pretty upset, pretty distraught,” Moreno said. After the collision, the bicycle was stuck under the tire of the suspect’s vehicle, dragging and creating sparks. The suspect continued toward the 110 Freeway without rendering help, Moreno said. NBC 4 Driver in downtown Los Angeles crashes into forklift launching operator onto roadway A driver who allegedly ran a red light crashed into a forklift in downtown Los Angeles Thursday morning. The Los Angeles Police Department said a call came in around 2:36 a.m. about a crash near the intersection of Naomi Avenue and Olympic Boulevard. Police said the driver of an Audi was traveling westbound on Olympic Boulevard when they ran a red light and crashed into a forklift. The impact from the crash launched the forklift operator onto the roadway. The operator was taken to a local hospital with head injuries. After the crash, the forklift continued moving across the street and crashed into a nearby truck. The LAPD said the driver of the Audi suffered a leg injury and was also taken to the hospital. The cause of the crash remains under investigation. CBS 2 Another fire marks latest in troubling incidents surrounding squatters in abandoned Beverly Grove apartments Yet another troubling incident has ignited fears of Beverly Grove residents who live near a complex of abandoned apartments that have been taken over by squatters. Cell phone video shows the moments that a large fire burns behind the buildings, located at First Street and S. Flores Flores Street, in the middle of the night on Tuesday. "I was just trying to sleep and I saw some orange in my window," said Leo Petronzio. "It was fire, and we were all rushing outside." Multiple neighbors rushed from their homes, grabbing fire extinguishers to try and put out the flames burning near the three vacant buildings. It's been more than a week since CBS News Los Angeles first spoke with residents living nearby, who say this is just another in a long trend of concerning issues created by the nearly 20 squatters who took over. In the time since, the property owner has put up "No Trespassing" signs, and some city officials have taken notice, but neighbors say there aren't any less people residing inside. They're using a hole in the chainlink fence to get back in, undeterred by the new signage. There was also news that the property may be demolished, as the property owner claimed that construction would be completed on what is supposed to be a 50-unit complex. CBS 2 Self-proclaimed skinhead convicted of threatening pregnant Black woman faces at least 38 years in prison A swastika-tattooed man was convicted Monday of berating and menacing a pregnant Black woman and threatening the life of her unborn child and now faces at least 38 years in prison after the Orange County district attorney appealed an earlier sentence he called too “lenient.” The case began nearly seven years ago, when Tyson Theodore Mayfield, a self-proclaimed skinhead, berated and menaced a pregnant Black woman waiting for her bus on a Fullerton bench, according to prosecutors. The then-42-year-old Mission Viejo man clenched his fists and threatened the life of the woman’s unborn child, according to a criminal complaint. The woman, known as Jane Doe in court documents, fled and called Fullerton police, who didn’t locate the man. She soon returned to the bench and so did Mayfield, who threatened her again amid a barrage of racial slurs, according to court documents. This time, Doe tucked into a nearby restaurant and called the police, who found and apprehended Mayfield. Los Angeles Times California man arrested with a fake gun, uniform and badge, police say. He faces felony charges Police in California’s Central Valley arrested a man on suspicion of impersonating a federal agent last week. Deputies said they found in his possession a collection of crude law enforcement equipment and outfits, which they called “disturbing.” Andrew Biscay, 40, was arrested on suspicion of impersonating a U.S. Marshal, possession of a makeshift weapon and other felonies on Friday, according to the Madera County Sheriff’s Office. Deputies received reports of a family disturbance near Avenue 12 and Road 22, which led to a vehicle search where they found the law enforcement gear, much of it handmade. Biscay, 40, was arrested in connection with outstanding vandalism warrants and on suspicion of impersonating an officer. Photos posted online by the Sheriff’s Office show a Ford F-150 with a star marking on the driver’s side door, an improvised pistol constructed with a spring-action barrel, ammunition and a fake U.S. Marshal’s uniform with coarsely painted-on credentials. Biscay was booked on multiple felony and misdemeanor charges, and bail of $70,000 was set, authorities said. Los Angeles Times Philadelphia jury convicts man of killing Temple University officer, hands him a life sentence A Philadelphia jury on Wednesday convicted a suburban man for killing a Temple University police officer who had chased him down as a suspect in a series of carjackings. That Miles Pfeffer killed Officer Christopher Fitzgerald had not been in dispute. The murder trial largely centered on whether the February 2023 shooting death was intentional. After less than a half-hour of deliberations, jurors found him guilty of murder of a law enforcement officer, robbery and gun crimes, prosecutors said. He was then sentenced to life without parole, plus decades for robbery. Assistant District Attorney Bob Wainwright, who prosecuted the case, called Fitzgerald “the kind of police officer that we want in our city. And when you murder a police officer, yes, there is kind of significance to the importance of that kind of a case. Because our society depends on the police to function.” Lawyers for Pfeffer, who was arrested hours later on his mother’s sprawling 18th century Bucks County farm property in upscale Buckingham, said he was a frightened 18-year-old who panicked that night. Pfeffer is now 20 years old. PoliceOne Video: Tennessee deputies pull injured officer to safety during ‘On Patrol: Live’ A Knox County sheriff’s deputy was critically injured after being struck in the head with a blunt object while responding to a call, WBIR reported. The June 21 incident was captured on the television series “On Patrol: Live.” Deputy Dalton Swanger was responding to a report of gunfire when the assault occurred, according to the Knox County Sheriff’s Office. The footage shows Swanger arriving at the scene, retrieving a rifle from his vehicle, and approaching a residence with two other deputies. A woman at the home told officers she believed her “crazy ex” was stalking her and had fired shots from the woods nearby. Deputies began searching the wooded area, announcing their presence and receiving shouted profanity in response, “On Patrol: Live’s” footage shows. The suspect referenced a firearm and taunted officers. As the deputies entered the woods, a confrontation took place. Swanger was seen falling, and moments later stated he had been struck in the head. “I got knocked out,” Swanger said in the footage. “He hit me with something hard.” Swanger sustained a head injury with visible bleeding. Fellow deputies pulled Swanger to safety, video shows. Though he initially said he was fine and walked with support, officials later confirmed he was in critical condition. PoliceOne ‘Alarming trend': Nebrasks trooper injured in third instance of drivers crashing into stopped cruisers in 10 days A Nebraska State Patrol trooper suffered injuries that were not believed to be life-threatening Monday night when her cruiser was struck by a truck on Interstate 80 in Omaha. The crash occurred the same day as the State Patrol called for motorists to pay attention to the road after two motorists collided with parked cruisers in a span of 10 days. The troopers in those incidents escaped injury. State Patrol and Nebraska Department of Transportation officials implored the public again on Tuesday to help end this “alarming trend” by driving carefully. “Lives are depending on you paying attention while driving,” Col. Bryan Waugh , superintendent of the Nebraska State Patrol, said Tuesday. Troopers were near South 50th Street about 8:30 p.m. to direct traffic as Omaha police officers investigated a single-vehicle crash that was blocking the shoulder of the roadway and one lane of traffic. The injured trooper, whose name has not been released, was inside the cruiser with its emergency lights activated when it was struck by a box truck. The trooper was taken to the Creighton University Medical Center-Bergan Mercy for treatment. The State Patrol asked the Omaha Police Department to investigate the crash. Omaha World-Herald Public Safety News Los Angeles County sees 22% drop in overdose deaths Drug-related overdose deaths in Los Angeles County fell by 22% in 2024 -- the most significant drop in the county's history, according to a report released Wednesday by the Department of Public Health. The decrease includes a 37% drop in fentanyl-related deaths and a 20% decrease in methamphetamine-related fatalities, based on data from the county's Department of Medical Examiner. Officials said the declines reflect the impact of expanded investments in prevention, harm reduction, treatment and recovery services. According to Public Health, overdose and poisoning deaths fell from 3,137 in 2023 to 2,438 in 2024 -- the lowest number recorded since 2019. "The decline in overdose deaths in L.A. County is a clear sign that public health investments are saving lives -- reflecting the power of innovative, community led strategies grounded in care and prevention,'' county Supervisor Holly Mitchell said in a statement. "However, despite this encouraging trend, Black residents and individuals living in poverty continue to face disproportionately high rates of overdose deaths.'' NBC 4 California measles cases this year already past 2024 total: LAT Amid a nationwide surge in cases of measles, California has already reported more cases this year than in all of 2024. Citing California Department of Public Health data, the Los Angeles Times reports that there have already been 17 cases of measles this year, up from 15 all of last year. One of those cases was reported earlier this month in Los Angeles County and exposed shoppers at Trader Joe’s, Walmart and Costco to the potentially fatal virus. Measles, a disease deemed eliminated from the U.S., has exploded in Texas, with at least 750 cases reported this year alone. Dozens of other cases have been reported nationwide, “almost universally among people who either haven’t been vaccinated, or whose vaccination status is not known,” the Times reports. For information about measles, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website. KTLA 5 About the LAPPL: Formed in 1923, the Los Angeles Police Protective League (LAPPL) represents more than 8,800 dedicated and professional sworn members of the Los Angeles Police Department. The LAPPL serves to advance the interests of LAPD officers through legislative and legal advocacy, political action and education. Listen To Our Podcast Los Angeles Police Protective League | 1308 W 8th St | Los Angeles, CA 90017 US Unsubscribe | Our Privacy Policy | Constant Contact Data Notice
Screenshot of the email generated on import

Message Analysis

  • Sender: n/a
  • Political Party: n/a
  • Country: n/a
  • State/Locality: n/a
  • Office: n/a
  • Email Providers:
    • Constant Contact