This August 6th and 9th will mark the 75th anniversary of the horrific atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The two bombs killed about 140,000 civilians <[link removed]> by the end of 1945 and sickened many more with cancer and chronic diseases.
75 years after these bombings, survivors are still working for nuclear abolition and need you to stand with them to remember these bombings and to take action to make sure that the world makes history by turning nuclear weapons illegal under international law.
The 75th anniversary of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki is a huge opportunity for the campaign to share the voices of survivors and encourage a wider audience to take action on their call <[link removed]> for all countries to join the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons. Nuclear risk is at an all-time high <[link removed]> but we are close to making history - the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons is nearing entry into force with only 12 ratifications <[link removed]> to go.
That’s why in the weeks leading up to these momentous anniversaries, we will make a huge effort to reach new audiences with new materials and content about the survivors’ stories and call to action.
• We will be sending out regular email updates with new resources, such as video, images, and a pledge for new supporters to take forward the hibakusha’s call.
• We’ll be launching a new website next week as a platform to commemorate the anniversaries and spur action to end nuclear weapons.
• We’ll be asking our supporters to donate to a world free of nuclear weapons and to secure the final ratifications to bring the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons into force.
• We will be sharing live events when/where they happen.
So for now, we need your help to build up a bigger audience. During the COVID crisis, digital campaigning has become more important than ever. The 75th anniversary is a huge opportunity, and we need to connect with more people so we're aiming to have 75,000 followers by the 6th and 9th August.
Will you help us get there by following us on social media and get your friends to do the same?
• Follow @nuclearban on twitter <[link removed]> - where having 75,000 followers by the 75th anniversary could help our tweets reach more than 2 million people during these 2 months.
• Follow @nuclearban on instagram <[link removed]> - where reaching 10,000 followers will enable us to more easily share links on our stories.
Every additional person we can reach with this critical message counts.
We can’t change the past. But we must remember the horrors the survivors of atomic bombings have endured and then honor them by our actions to make sure it never happens again. To bring the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons into force. To end nuclear weapons. Join us by following @nuclearban <[link removed]>.
Akira Kawasaki, Peace Boat
Beatrice Fihn, ICAN
Make a contribution to ICAN’s work <[link removed]>
ICAN - Switzerland
This email was sent to [email protected] To stop receiving emails: [link removed]