[ [link removed] ]As protesters mourn George Floyd, outrage rises over new abuses
The NAACP calls it “a moment of reckoning
for our nation’s conscience.”
As we mourn George Floyd and protest his murder, we’re forced to recognize
his death was not an isolated incident. African Americans are two and a
half times more likely to be killed by police than white Americans are.
It’s not enough to say “Black Lives Matter” when we act as if they don’t.
That’s why I’m announcing a plan today to [ [link removed] ]end police violence. Among
other actions, I will push to:
1. Ban chokeholds and strangleholds.
2. Revamp police use-of-force and response protocols.
3. Require police officers to intervene and stop other officers from
using excessive force.
4. Mandate body cameras and comprehensive reporting.
5. Prevent the abuse of warrants.
6. Eliminate racial profiling.
7. Pursue Department of Justice consent decrees, civil rights
enforcement, and pattern-and-practice investigations of rogue
8. Create a national database of police officer misconduct.
9. End the use of qualified immunity or other legal doctrines that shield
misconduct from prosecution.
10. Form independent and effective oversight bodies with the authority to
hold officers accountable.
11. Demilitarize police operations.
12. Recruit, train, and hire officers who reflect and respect the
communities they serve.
No one is above the law—including those who enforce it.
Contribute to Andrew’s campaign: [link removed]
This email was sent to [email protected]. Email is the most important way for us to reach you about opportunities to get involved. If you need to remove yourself from our email list, click here to unsubscribe:
You can unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time: