First, I hope you and your family are staying as safe and healthy as possible. I am inspired by the outpouring of compassion, strength, and resilience so many New Yorkers have shown during this difficult time. Not that I am surprised. New Yorkers are amazing.
Today, I also want to update you on some of our work at the City Council to provide relief to people across New York City.
New Yorkers know that, from the diners and delis to the bodegas and pizza shops, small businesses and restaurants make up the heart and soul of our city.
But our small businesses and restaurants were already hurting when this pandemic struck. And now, many are struggling to stay afloat.
Yesterday, the City Council passed new legislation to provide direct, immediate aid to our small businesses and restaurants. This relief package helps in five big ways:
1. Capping the fees charged by delivery apps at 15% per order for delivery and 5% for all other types of orders during states of emergency;
2. Preventing delivery services from charging restaurants for phone orders that didn’t result in an actual order;
3. Waiving and refunding sidewalk fees for cafes and restaurants across the city;
4. Protecting tenants who’ve been affected by the pandemic from harassment by commercial landlords;
5. Stopping commercial landlords from going after COVID-impacted business owners’ personal assets.
Small businesses and restaurants across our city need help right now, and this relief package is a start. We will continue to find ways to help New York City recover from this crisis.
Thank you for all you do for our city.
NYC Council Speaker
Paid for by Corey 2021
unsubscribe: [link removed]
Corey for NYC
Brooklyn, NY 11211